Thursday, November 13, 2008

WE ARE THANKFUL


Season/Month: Thanksgiving-October
Age/Grade: Primary
Groups: Whole
Materials: Pilgrim Child (Copycat 1986 Nov/Dec)









1. Write on the board:
During this season of Thanksgiving, I am most thankful for __(1)___, __(2)__, and __(3)__. I am thankful for __(1)__ because ____________________. I am thankful for __(2)__ because __________________. I am very thankful for __(3)__ because ______________. I am especially thankful for __________ because __________.
2. Brainstorm what we are thankful for: parents, food, family, friends, animals, shelter, turkeys, people, cousins, being alive, our five senses...
3. Give examples of "because" additions (can have more than one) for the thankful items. The more discussion you have, the better end product you receive from the students.
4. Students copy the paragraph from the board, filling in their responses. Proofread, fix errors, write final copy on Thankful For Scroll (from Teacher's Friend).
5. Final copy is proofed by teacher for presentation, students color Pilgrim Child. You may need to discuss what colors were available during the Pilgrim's Time. I suggest using crayons, coloring very dark, and outlining.
6. Back scroll to construction paper.
7. Before you post in the hallway, color copy the items to put on your website if you wish.
8. When you take the papers down from the hallway, put them in the student's journal.

1 comment:

OkScribbler said...

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE PROJECTS. I did this every year with my students.