Thursday, November 11, 2010

WRITING CHECKLIST

CAPITALIZATION CHECKLIST:
___ Capitalize the first word in a sentence.
___ Capitalize the pronoun “I” wherever it appears.
___Capitalize a title used before a person’s name. Mr.  Dr. 
___Capitalize each important word in the title of books, movies, magazines, etc.
___Capitalize the first word in a direct quotation.  The man said, “Say your name.”
___Capitalize all proper nouns.


ENDING CHECKLIST:
___Did I tie the beginning to the end?
___Did I mention the topic?
___Did I add details that bring the story to an interesting end, and not keep adding more events?
___Does my story make people smile, laugh, or cry?
___Does every sentence have a purpose?
___Are sentences longer than 4 words?


BEGINNING CHECKLIST:
___Is the story about me?
___Did I begin with a sound, quote or simile?
___Did I write where the story is taking place?
___Did I mention the people that are in my story?
___Did I use good words to describe the setting?


PUNCTUATION CHECKLIST:
___Use a period at the end of a statement or a command.
___Use a period at the end of an abbreviation.
___Use a question mark at the end of a question.
___Use an exclamation point at the end of a sentence that shows strong feeling.

MIDDLE
___Did I write a story and not a grocery list (10 things)?
___Did I choose 3-5 main events?
___Is the climax in the middle?
___Did I use my senses and thoughts to describe those events?
___Did I add details that have to do with the topic?
___Is it in order of the way it happened, and not jumping around from thought to thought?
___Am I making the story interesting?



PUNCTUATION CHECKLIST:
___Use a comma between words in a series of three or more things.
___Use a comma between the day and year in a date. 
___Use a comma between the city and state.
___Use an apostrophe in possessives.
___Use an apostrophe in contractions.

No comments: